Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Room 8440

I had a roommate.  I couldn't eat.  I couldn't drink.   But I had the morphine button, and with one click, all was right with the world.

That thing was magic.

I remember on the way to surgery, my parents crying.  My mom still trying to talk me out of it.   That knot in my stomach that prayed I didn't not wake up.   But as they rolled me into the operating room, I saw we were going into OR number 10, and suddenly I knew everything would be alright.

At least until I woke up that is.

I opened my my eyes, and for a second I didn't know where I was.  But I knew I was in pain.  A lot of pain.   Now, to be fair when I had knee surgery a few years ago I woke up smiling like I just took a nice nap, but only a few months before this, I had to have my gall bladder out unexpectedly-- also laparoscopically-- and I woke up screaming in pain that time too.  So, it could just be how my body reacts to laparoscopic surgery.   This time things weren't as bad as the gall bladder, and I recovered better.   I'm sure my wailing got that morphine button connected fast and soon I wasn't in pain.   I was just sleepy.   I would fall asleep mid sentence, mouth hanging open, courtesy of the morphine button.

The practical stuff:
I did learn from blogs beforehand that I should bring some stuff with me, and it helped.  I brought gas-x strips (you can't eat or drink so it has to be the tongue strips) and Chapstick.  I love the Walgreens brand, but you do you.  Both were great to have.   I couldn't use the gas-x in the hospital, mainly because I thought my nurse might beat me if she found out, but right after it was really helpful.  So hit the pharmacy on your way to the OR, you'll be glad you did.  Oh and a gentle laxative.   Don't forget that lol.

I had surgery Monday, and was released Wednesday.  He took the drain out that day too--which was a gross and horrifyingly weird sensation I can't even try to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment